To maintain a healthy level of fitness you must practice consistency. Consistency isn’t a short letter word like Diet. Consistency isn’t short term like Diet. Rather consistency is something that should be developed and used over a long period of time. Instead going on and off diets or dieting occasionally, change this habit to a healthier one. Develop a habit which will enable you to feel comfortable on a daily basis.
Here are 5 Steps which will help you maintain a consistent healthy lifestyle:
1. Be Honest– Honesty gives way to trust. Being able to trust yourself will help lead you to being more consistent. Consistency falls apart when things aren’t concrete. For example telling yourself one lie can lead to telling yourself many more lies. It`s like digging a grave full of lies and trying to pull yourself free from them. So be honest and stand firm on your word.
2. I Will Start on Monday- Why does Monday seem to be the universal starting point for starting a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps its just another excuse to get in all the junk food before the Monday starting point. This approach just makes things more challenging. The best time to start a new healthy lifestyle is now. Do not set overly extreme and unrealistic goals. Engaging in extreme dieting and aggressive cardio won’t be maintainable for the long haul. Instead start today by setting short term realistic goals. Promise yourself to do 20-30 minutes cardio daily to start. Over time perhaps you`ll have built up enough endurance to increase the amount of time during your cardio or weight training sessions.
3. Find enjoyment in routine- Consistency and routine go hand in hand. It`s almost impossible to be consistent without having a daily routine. It does take time to form a new habit or get comfortable with a new routine so it would be wise to build up some patience during this time.
4. Keep things organized- It may sound cliché but being organized gets over looked more than often. Being organized helps you concentrate and it enables you to keep focused on what’s important. It doesn’t just mean being tidy but organized about setting short and long term goals. This is an important key to being consistent. This one is definitely at the top of my list.
5. Consider a plan for if you fail- When some people start a new habit they sometimes expect everything to be perfect. You will experience set backs along your journey but don’t let them throw you off course. Try to learn not to judge yourself, feel guilty or self-sabotage yourself when you make a mistake. To combat these emotions put focus into developing a plan to get back on track as soon as possible. Bounce back get organized and re-develop momentum again.
These are just a few tips you can use to help you along your journey towards a better you.
Fitness Coach Mike,